Old July 3rd 05, 05:32 AM
Jo Firey

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-06-28, Karen penned:
Hope this works. I know they used a similar program for elephants
somewhere and it really did help with poaching and raising numbers.

Me too, but I have trouble understanding how a $80/month job can
replace the chance of a single tiger that can earn them $50,000 ...
the numbers don't make sense, unless actually killing a tiger happens
extremely rarely.

I'm guessing typical journalistic license at play. A single tiger may be
worth $50,000 - I've got my doubts. But only in the final stages of
poaching, smuggling and sales. . Price at point of sale for individual
parts. If that had anything to do with what the guys actually risking life
and limb made for killing the tiger, then the price of opium would also make
the poppy growers in Afghanistan rich.

Now I'm hardly advocating this, but if adult tigers were worth $50,000 each,
someone somewhere would be raising them for sale. They do reproduce fairly
well in captivity.

Jo