Old January 14th 05, 05:36 PM
Kelly

You must research the breeders and the breed (which I assume is why you're
posting!) before you purchase.

Bengals are a cross with a with a *wild* cat called the Asian Leopard Cat.
When you research your breeders, it is best to buy from a breeder that has
LATE generations of this cat. So for instance, the mating between the wild
cat and the domestic cat gives us the F1 generation. An F1 generation bred
with another domestic cat will give us an F2 generation. So the farther
down you go, there is a little less of the actual wildcat in the breed.

I talked to an expert who recommended no lower than the F5 generation.
These cats have the markings of the leopard cat, but have really great
personalities and are very cuddly cats. If you purchase an F1 generation
from a breeder who is still breeding the original leopard cats to domestic
cats, these cats are what they are, **practically wild**. They tend not to
be very cuddly and are quite independant. They are also more resistant to
training and will want to JUMP JUMP JUMP all over anything, so don't expect
to keep them off your kitchen counters. Of course this is a generalization,
just like anything, but your taking a gamble.

So all I can stress is that you must research your breeders, ask them what
generation the cats are, or you might be disappointed and get a cat that is
not affectionate and is actually more trouble than it's worth!

Kelly

"B B" wrote in message
Hello...I was thinking of buying a Bengal cat. A person told me these
cats really like water, and will even walk in the shower sometimes....is
this true? If so, is it rare or common with this breed?

I think the Bengals look pretty cool...those with the gold coat
with black dots are my favorite...very wild looking. Anything major to
know about this breed? I have always owned a short haired tabby.