Old December 19th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Pill - It's What's For Dinner

Suddenly, without warning, Tischler exclaimed (19-Dec-06 6:52 PM):
Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.

Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
less-than-ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Saw a post here recently suggestiong pulverizing and mixing in the water
from a tuna can. You'd have to check with the vet though, to see
whether this particular pill becomes ineffective in water...

I've noticed that if the amount is small, I can successfully pulverize a
pill and mix it with her *dry* food (rarely do this though, only when
she's in one of her "wet food sux" moods). There is some loss in doing
this, but for her glucosamine, I'd say it's less than 10%.

jmc