Old July 7th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/7/2009 1:46 AM):
jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Netmask exclaimed (7/6/2009 12:50 AM):

Cats are carnivores and should eat fresh meat only - that's what they
live on in the wild - fresh kill

Well, yea, but that's not always practical or possible in the real world.

Meep resolutely refuses to eat ANY kind of meat that doesnt' come out
of a cat food can - cooked, raw, chicken, beef, even kangaroo, she
refuses it all. Except seafood (loves shrimp, salmon and tuna).
Phooey.

jmc

well in the real world unless one lives in antartica there are butcher
and fish monger shops, deli's etc as most of the world are meat eaters.
The secret is to mix a bit of the tinned poison with fresh meat slowly
changing the balance.

You don't think I've tried that. My cat is a dedicated and very very
stubborn carbivore. We've been fighting this battle for over 5 years
now. I've tried every trick I've gleaned from here, from the internet,
and from vets in three different countries. She simply won't eat
anything that 1) doesn't have carbs and/or 2) came directly from a
4-legged critter. Well, except for parmesan cheese

jmc