Old September 10th 12, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc,rec.pets.cats.rescue,alt.pets.cats,rec.gardens,misc.consumers.house
Bill Graham

Default Fences - Cats - DIY?

Julie Bove wrote:
"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"Bill Graham" wrote:

Well, to bring the discussion back to cats, I take in strays and
feed them and water them, and offer them a warm place to sleep in
the Winter time. What I don't do is imprison them. They were free
when they came to me, and they remain free while they are with me.
Part of the reason they choose to stay with me is the fact that the
door is always open. Both for me and for them. Slavery ended (or
should have ended) back in the 19th century, both for animals and
men.

Tell the truth, **** for brains... you're another of those lazy cheap
*******s who can't exert themselves to deal with litter and pay for
it... you don't take the cat to a vet and you feed it the cheapest
crap food you can find because this isn't the first time you made
believe you are caring for an animal because you know there's no
reason to make any investment in yet another cat that you'll find
flattened in the road. I've met lots of fake do-gooders like you...
I don't believe a word you said, you don't feed any cat, you're just
trolling.

I tried to take in two strays once but Maui (my old cat) wouldn't
have them. I couldn't really afford three cats at the time anyway. I
had a feed store say that they would take them but they wound up not
doing it. They loaned me a big kennel for them and I could at least
let them sleep in that on the freezing nights in my house. It was
the only thing that kept them safe from Maui. And they willingly
came in to sleep. I did feed them.
Then my husband (we were not married yet) called around and found a
shelter that would take them if he would pay to have them spayed and
neutered, which he did.

Hopefully they went to a good home.

Yes, it can be rather expensive. We have a roving vet who makes house calls
in the Salem area, (where we live)and with five cats, it costs us over a
thousand dollars a year to keep them in good health. Oddly enough, our feral
cat, Smokey has cost us the least. Two of the females had to have operations
that ran about $800 each. One had har thyroid glands removed, and the other
had a hairball in her stomach that made it swell up until it filled her
whole abdoman. We thought it was a tumor, and we told the vet to put her
down if they couldn't remove it all. The vet opened her up, saw that it was
her stomache, opened that up, and just removed a baseball sized hairball!
Today she is fine, and that was several years ago. But at our age, my wife
and I have few hobbies, so we don't mind paying for our kitty's health.