Old April 20th 19, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy and my Work Schedule

On 4/20/2019 12:48 AM, Tina wrote:
On 18/04/2019 00:08, jmcquown wrote:
It's been very erratic.Â* Most days when I'm scheduled I get out of bed
at 7:30AM to get ready.Â* It only took Buffy a couple of months (laugh)
to figure that out.Â* Now, even when I'm not scheduled to work, Buffy
has decided to treat every day as if I have to get up at 7:30. LOL

I didn't have to be at work this morning until 10:00.Â* I don't have to
work *at all* tomorrow (4/18).Â* But whatcha want to bet, she'll meow
at me around 7:30AM?Â* I'll mumble "it's not time yet" and turn over.
She'll give me a little kitty kiss on my cheek. Awwww, sweet!Â* But no,
I'm not getting out of bed yet.

She'll purr in my ear.Â* (That tickles!)Â* Sometimes she combs my bangs
with her teeth.Â* She did that this morning.

It's all very endearing, except when I don't actually have to get out
of bed at 7:30. LOL

It's not as if she doesn't have some kibble and plenty of water.Â* She
doesn't need me to get up and feed her.Â* She's usually been snuggled
with me most of the night.

I think she's doing this on purpose. I disrupted her schedule by
leaving the house, never quite know when!Â* So she decided to try to
put *me* on a schedule. LOL
Jill

We all know that our cats know the time. What you've done is
accidentally train her for a 7.30 a.m. start.Â* Boyfriend used to do this
too when I was working and it's a bit irritating when you have a chance
for a lie in.Â*Â* I had to get up at 6 a.m. for work, so that was even worse!
Buffy is not doing this "on purpose" to get you back in retaliation.
Cats are not capable of such abstract thought as that. She now thinks
it's the time to get up and see you.
When I retired it took several weeks for Boyfie to stop meowing outside
my bedroom at 6 a.m. because I ignored him. You won't be able to retrain
your girl when you're often up at 7.30 and sometimes not.

Did you not notice the LOL's? This is, after all, an anecdotal
newsgroup. Of course I don't believe Buffy is doing this in some sort
of retaliation!

I do believe she can figure out when I don't have to get up early. Not
only by verbal cues (I tell her when I get in bed on a work night "I
have to go to work tomorrow") but also by how late I might stay up the
night before. Cats can definitely tell time. I don't really have a
habitual routine.

And of course she knows if I'm fussing around in the bath and the
closet, getting dressed and doing girly things to make myself
presentable early in the morning. I don't go through that routine every
day. LOL

Last night I gave her no verbal or other cues other than I went to bed
fairly early (11PM). I was tired. She did did try to wake me up this
morning but when I said "Uh uh, sleepy bye" she curled into me and let
me sleep.

She didn't pull any cutesey moves. She let me sleep until I felt like
getting out of bed. Which was about an hour later. I think she knew
I didn't need to leave the house today so we snoozed together.

Just got through having a nice play session with her with the fishing
wand toy. Get the mousie!

Jill