Old February 22nd 04, 04:23 AM
Amy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:22:04 -0500, Phil P. wrote:

"Amy" wrote in message
news
I've recently switched my cats from free to fixed feeding. They really
don't like it and I'm tempted to switch them back. Is fixed feeding really
all that beneficial?

Fixed feeding reduces the risk of struvite crystal/urolith formation by
allowing more time to elapse between meals for the cat's natural urine
acidity to return and dissolve struvite that may have formed. Ad libitum
(free feeding) keeps the urine alkaline most of the day which presents a
risk factor for struvite formation.

Also, a recent (2000) ACVIM controlled, clinical, university study found an
increased risk of renal dsease with ad libitum feeding patterns.

Brief excerpt from that study:

"Similarly, being fed ad libitum increased the likelihood of renal disease."

Diet and Lifestyle Variables as Risk Factors for Renal Disease in Pet Cats.

M.R. Slater, W.J. Burkholder, C. Fitzgerald. Texas A&M University, College
Station, TX.

Phil

Wow. Fixed feeding it is.

Thanks!