Old October 1st 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
ezyspirit

Default Organizing Rescue Group

Hi Lauren,

Our group doesn't have a shelter either so we rely on advertising and word
of
mouth to get our little charges adopted into good homes. The local
newspaper
in our area has given us cut rate display ads in which we advertise several
animals each week. Even single ads work. I also get photos and put them
into an email and send them around - put a note on asking that the email
be forwarded. We recently set up our own web site and have been amazed
at the response.

The tricky part of adoption is finding good homes. You have to ask the
right
questions and screen people carefully. Before people come to your home
you might tell them up front that you don't adopt out on the first visit.
This
will allow you to get them out of your house if they turn out to be people
your don't want to adopt to. I've had some bad experiences so protect
yourself and the kittens.

I'm really forward when it comes to interviewing potential adopters. Watch
out for really young people - late teens early 20's. Their lives aren't
settled
and often they will give up their pets when they need to move on somewhere.
Renters in general are dubious. Sadly, seniors aren't a good bet either
because they aren't likely to provide a good home for the life of the pet.

Ask, casually, if they have had many pets before. If they say they have
lost a cat to illness after 15 years then that's a good sign. When they
go on in detail about cats they have disposed of or that have "run away"
then you know to be cautious.

Watch out for parents with kids under 6 years old, especially if they
want a young kitten. Have them bring the kids with them to see the
kittens and watch to see if the parents make the kids treat the kittens
gently. If not, it's a good bet they won't do so at home either. So many
people want toys for their kids. Little kittens are so delicate. They can
get worn out or badly injured by over enthusiastic children.

I always tell our foster parents to use their instincts. If you get a bad
feeling, it's best to pay attention to it.

Some people get offended that they need to answer these questions
but we do it to ensure that these creatures get permanent, loving homes
after having such a rough start in life. Most people understand, if they
don't then they probably wouldn't be very good owners anyway.

Good luck - it's a tough gig you have volunteered for but when you
match up a cat or kitten with a great home, then there is nothing like
that feeling of accomplishment.

All the best,
Barbara

"Lauren" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello to all,

I was excited to see this group and I hope to find wonderful
information and ideas from all of you. I recently joined an animal
rescue group specializing in Cats. I am currently fostering a mother
and her 4 kittens. As the time for adoption comes nearer what are your
suggestions for great advertising and getting people to adopt these
wonderful animals. What have you done that really works?

Thanks,
Lauren

Please check out and support
www.safehavenhumanesociety.org