Old August 18th 03, 11:03 PM
bewtifulfreak

GraceCat wrote:

I never heard that . The bed I was in was a standard issue hospital
bed with the head tilted up and my legs bent, knees straight up and
spread as far as possible, feet in stirrups. Very unproper position,
dignity is swiftly removed.

LOL....I know that one from pap smears! But yeah, I do think they do more
births on tilt tables now, though I'm not sure if you have to request it, or
if it's just certain places, or what.

I'm like Pam, I'm not an expert but I've always heard that
episiotomies were given because they believed it's better to cut than
to rip and repair.

That's probably true, but I think there isn't as much chance of tearing in
the first place if you're in more of a squatting position, because the
pelvis is more open. Of course, I'm no expert either....

They cut through the ummm.. I forgot what it's called between vagina
and anus

Perinium, I believe....*OUCH*.

kind of making it one big opening. nod nod *plastered forced
grin*. Not everybody has something like that done. Yowie I'd ask your
attending person if they give episiotomies and strongly suggest a 4th
degree is unnecessary!

I agree; in most cases, I don't think even a first degree is necessary, I'd
definitely do some research, Yowie. Then again, I do think it's more of a
U.S. thing (we do a lot of dumb things over there).... :\

So anyway, I babble again

You and me both!

Ann

--