Old May 26th 05, 10:53 PM
Elle

"Ajanta" wrote
I am complete newbie and just discovered this group. Therefore, I'd
like to ask a few questions. I realize that even among the experienced
there may be no consensus. When that is the case, I'd opt for
diversity, so no error is compounded too much.

1. Canned v. dry food. I think people seem to prefer canned, but some
make a dental case for dry. It is also more economical. So maybe feed
mostly canned (75%) and but a little dry too?

I'm no expert but am going on word of mouth for most of the following:

I've started using more canned than dry, mostly because of discussion at the
Feline Diabetes Message Board
http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/list.php?8 . I hear the argument that
dried food is better for the teeth is bunk.

I also now count my cats' calories and so ration out their food. For calorie
information, see:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/cat_fo...rition_dry.htm

http://www.felinediabetes.com/cat_fo...ion_canned.htm

Also, one can call companies that make cat food and they will share the
caloric data.

I lost a cat to diabetes recently. Looking back over the years, I've known
other people's cats who similarly were a bit plumpish, then dropped a lot of
weight, and ultimately were diagnosed with diabetes and had their lives
shortened. I increasingly believe the keys to cat longevity and happiness,
in no particular order, are (1) spaying/neutering; (2) indoors only; (3)
proper, carefully monitored diet.

2. Of all brands (both cans and dry), which ones you feel offer the
best dollar value for nutrition? I fthey are only available through
some specialized channels, please include that as well.

A month ago I discovered PetsMart has an amazing variety of canned foods,
including brands that are cheaper per oz. than at Wal-Mart.

3. Mix dry and wet? That is, should dry food be physically mixed with
the canned food or served separately?

I put it on the side. Then the cats can mix or whatever.

4. Add another spoonful of water to cans? So much praise for canned
food appears to be for its moisture content. If that's so good, should
I just add a spoonful of water to a can?

Aside: Sometimes I end up with a can that seems a little low on moisture, so
I add a few tablespoons of water.

5. Of the inexpensive brands, which ones are best nutritionally (both
canned and dry)?

6. Finally, is it ever desirable to give any human food to cats?
Yogurt, tuna, chicken pieces, veggies, cheese, anything?

I never resist letting them lick a plate or bowl. But that's all they get.

Some folks are completely down on tuna. Stick around and you'll see. I err
on the side of perceived safety and do not give my cats tuna.

Elle
Who visited her former, poor cat's grave today and was so pleased that it
looked so beautiful, deep in the woods, far from civilization, in a glade of
trees with some nice plants now growing almost on top.