Old July 31st 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Not sure what to do now

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"MLB" wrote in message ...

On 07/29/2012 06:58 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
Persia does not like the Royal Canin or the Prescription Hill's k/d
canned
food the vet said she should eat. (They sold me both brands so I could
see which she liked better... the answer is neither one.) She was
merely
picking at it, just eating enough to stave off hunger pangs.

(snippage)

Each vet seems to have his or her own opinion about matters like this.
Mine
said, "The important thing is that she eat. If she won't eat the food
that's best for her, feed her what she will eat." It is possible that
not
having the special food will shorten her life, but so will not eating at
all.

Obviously, you have to make the decision yourself, after consulting your
vet. I'm not telling you what to do, just what I did in a similar
circumstance. Whenever I wonder what course to take with my cats, I try
think how I would feel if I were in their place. Would I rather live
longer, being forced to eat what I like, or would I rather enjoy what
time I
have left? Again, only you can make the decision for your cat.

Joy

IMHO Give her what makes her happy! MLB

I just went to the store to stock up on Fancy Feast and a couple of cans
of Friskies. She's chowing down! Forget the expensive R/x food. I'll
give her whatever she wants, so long as she eats. Thanks everyone for the
support and encouragement.

Don't discount the Rx food suiting her yet. If you suddenly switch food (a
lot of people do this when the vet has advised it) it will often upset their
tummies. Try again with, say, 1/4 kidney diet mixed with 3/4 of her usual
for a week and up the proportion of KD weekly until within 4-6 weeks she is
on the Rx food completely. It really does lengthen their life if you can
get them on to it. Yes, it's expensive, I know. I also know what living on
very small income means as I'm doing it atm.

Please don't make a decision yet about giving Persia everything she wants
to eat regardless, I don't think she's got to that stage. Giving them
treaty-foods that don't help damaged kidneys function as best they can is a
panic reaction to a new diagnosis.
Save the bad-for-you-treaty-foods for when she is nearer the end stage of
CRF when she won't eat and turns her nose up at almost everything. I am not
a vet but I am sharing my experience with CRF, not only with my cat, but
with many of my dogs who lived a long time. CRF is the bane of the old cat
or dog.
Tweed