Old January 21st 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Doing the painkiller med

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
Well, I knew it would difficult, so I fooled the Boy. I prepared his
liquid syringe and placed it on a stool next to me, then I sat in my chair
and put a blanket over my knees.
After a while he jumped on for laptime, I covered him with the blanket and
did the deed.
He needed it, as he was starting to mess about with his stitches and
licking his front leg where his drip was so it was two hours early.
Now he won't come on my lap, it's too dangerous. I don't think he'll fall
for that "on my lap, let me put the blanket over you" tomorrow.
Claire is prepared to help with his painklller tomorrow evening and until
Friday if necessary when his meds will end. I hope I won't have to ask
her. She came to the vets with me to pick him up and observed the vet
nurse rolling him in a towel to tell me how to medicate him. Yes, he
does flatcat there on the table, but he certainly won't do that here and
Claire said afterwards "you might not be able to do that at home" She
knows him.
He fell for my sneaky trick of rolling him in my blanket today for his
painkiller, but it's unlikely he'll do that tomorrow. I wish he knew it
was for the best for him. but of course, he doesn't. He thinks that I've
betrayed him by gathering him up and squirting something in his mouth. And
he was well annoyed about that.
I wish he could connect it with feeling so much better in an hour but atm
I'm a bad meowmie who tricks him into bad things in his mouth and my lap
is not be trusted again.

Tweed

He'll forgive you, but he'll no doubt have to do that every day while he's
getting the meds.

Lindy (RB) was on liquid thyroid medication for the last few years of her
life. After the first few days, she would run when she saw me coming with
the syringe. I'd chase her around the house for a while, and then she'd
jump up on the bed or couch and wait for me to give her the meds.

Joy