Old May 20th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Southern Cooking

YOU MADE ME HUNGRY ;-)
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Jofirey" wrote in message
No cats in this, they didn't even get a shrimp.

I just made the best dinner. Now I like southern cooking. I grew up in
Washington DC and spent a lot of time in Virginia as well. But I've been
in California for almost forty years now, so I've missed out of some of
the more recent innovations in Southern food.

A few weeks ago an internet friend mentioned that they had shrimp and
grits for dinner in a nice restaurant. I'd vaguely heard of such a thing
and since I love grits and I love shrimp it sounded pretty good. Next
time I was in the store I grabbed a bag of 35 count ready to cook frozen
shrimp. I already had a box of real (NOT instant) grits in the cupboard.
Finally today I had the chance and did some internet searching for a
recipe. Found lots and lots of recipes. Mostly to the effect of cook the
grits and maybe add some cheese. Cook the shrimp in oil or butter and
season it. Serve shrimp over grits.

So, I cooked a pot of grits. About four cups of water and a cup of
grits, adjust so it isn't too thick or too thin, add salt and simmer for
twenty minutes. Stir once in a while so it doesn't stick to the pan and
scorch. When was done, I added about a cup of grated white American
cheese. Set it off the stove while I cooked the shrimp.

While the grits were cooking, I thawed about a pound of shrimp in a
colander under running water. Then after the grits were done and
resting, I melted half a stick of butter in the bottom of a frying pan.
I added about a tablespoon of olive oil to that, and figured I should
season it before I put in the shrimp since they cook so fast. I added
about a half tablespoon of minced garlic and about a tablespoon of
Emeril's Essence seasoning to the oil. Looked like it needed some green
and I know my grandson won't touch green onions so I added some freeze
dried chives. I wasn't too sure about trying to feed him grits as it
was. Got the pan good and hot, dried of the shrimp a bit with some paper
towels and tossed them in. Stirred till they were done.

I put a scoop of grits into the bottom of three soup bowls, topped them
with the shrimp and them drizzled some of the oil the shrimp cooked in
over the tops. Had some collard greens on the side just to stay
southern. When I went in to clean up the kitchen, Charlie and Steven had
not only cleaned their plates, they finished up the left over's as well.
I will be doing this again.

The cats are trying to figure out why the kitchen smells so good and
there is nothing in their bowls but kibble.

Jo

Ah yes, shrimp and grits. I've lived in the southern US since I was 12.
It took me until I was 40-something to discover this classic southern
dish. That's probably because I don't eat out a lot. You'll find this on
many restaurant menus, particularly here in the lowcountry of South
Carolina where shrimping is an industry. Sounds like ya done good, Jo

Jill