Old March 29th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Introducing the newest member of our family...

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:42:26 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:

A cat tree!

The girls have never had one but it's one of those things that I
really thought they 'should' have, only they're so expensive... we
went to Walmart today and noticed somebody had a cat-tree-in-a-box in
their cart, so we went over to the pet section and had a look and it
was only $30. Of course it's made of cardboard with el-cheapo carpet
glued onto it, and it's not a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but
it'll do for now... we brought it home, opened the box and figured out
how to put it together (it's clever and it has a built-in spring to
brace itself against the ceiling and hold itself together under
tension...) and then we showed it to the cats.

snip

Sounds like the same el-cheapo I bought from Wallyworld - with pretty
much the same initial reaction. (Note - one word of warning though. It
it is like the one I bought you adjust the height by adjusting a bolt
on top which pushes against the ceiling. Over time I have to retighten
the bolt, or vigorus play will topple it.) At the time it was just
Little Bit and Sammy, and either of them thought much of it. I bought
of pack of cat treats (something they love but don't get much since
Sammy went on a restricted diet) and started leaving a treat or two on
the platforms. It wasn't long before Sammy was climbing all over it
checking for treat deposits. Little Bit took longer, and to this day
still refuses to climb to the top platform, but she is often found on
the lower and middle platform - and she seems to prefer to use the
bottom part of the pole as a scratch post over the siscal rope
variety. when Spotty arrived she ignored it at first, but after seeing
the others climb it she has really taken to it. Now she's the most
enthusiastic user, and it's fairly common for her scoot around in
circles on a platform by bunny kicking the post.

Actually it's probably time to replace the one I have, as the carpet
on the post is getting ragged.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: