Old June 11th 12, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default (OT) Anyone like this house?

Jack Campin wrote:

It's a Victorian "cottage" in the town where John lives. I'm musing
about possibly buying the place.
http://nwa.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/...27&s=NWA&t=NWA
Looks wonderful but is there any public transport to the nearest town?

From that house I could walk to town. Not that there is anything much in
town. Tourist shops, mostly. I'd still have to drive to the grocery
store... sorry!

I had Springfield in mind - that's about 40 miles away.

Sooner or later *everybody* gets too disabled to drive. What happens
to you then?

It's not an individual issue, it's societal. We just don't prioritize
public transportation. So then it's lousy (unreliable, too infrequent,
doesn't cover the area comprehensively, and in some cases, dirty and
dangerous), and then people prefer not to ride it. Of course, a lot of
people don't have a choice - they can't afford a car, so they have to
put up with an underfunded system.

However, a lot of disabled people can't even ride public transportation.
They rely on paratransit, which provides door-to-door rides for a minimal
fare. It's not very flexible, but at least it's a way to get around. A
lot of places that don't have buses or subways still have paratransit -
my mom lived in a part of Florida that had no bus service, and she got
around with paratransit. In places like that, the people might well have
been able to get around on mass transit, but there isn't any.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander