Old July 4th 12, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Poor widdle Bonnie

"Cheryl" wrote in message
.com...
I noticed the other day that she had a couple of claws that had grown into
her paw pads. Last night I was able to catch her and clip them, but those
that were into the pad were ingrown and I couldn't get them out. I cut them
down as much as possible, and she seemed ok and I figured they'd work there
way out. There was no stink and no blood.

I had Shamrock into regular TED for a steroid shot today and mentioned
about Bonnie's claws and she said even if they didn't look like they hurt,
likely they did. She told me to pull out the ingrown ones at an angle
because they're curved. So tonight at dinner time I was able to catch her
and I had already prepped the bathroom counter with some Flush liquid,
cotton balls, tweezers and clippers. I still couldn't get them out so off
to ER TED since I had her caught. TED pulled them right out, no damage
other than some calloused paw pads. No infection, no blood. No need for
antibiotics. So she's ok. I can see now I have to try to catch her more
often to check her claws since they must have a tendency to grow funny.
ER TED said when cats get older they can do that.

So glad her claws are now sorted. Cats can be so stoic and not give you a
clue about things like that, at least you know that she has "funny-growing
claws" now.

She's so funny when you can catch her. She plays "flat kitty" and TEDs
assistant said she felt like she weighed 453 pounds because she was hard
to get off the table. She also plays possum in that she goes completely
stiff and dead-like. No movement.

Boyfie does flat-kitty at TED's and he used to faint clean away, not go
stiff though. Just like the poor lad had died of fright. Limp and
appearing to be unconscious. Last time he went, he just did flat-kitty with
huge eyes, he had to be peeled off the table afterwards, no faint.

Feral instinct? After all these
years she'll never grow out of it.

I think it could well be a feral instinct, especially in a shy cat. Would
you say Bonnie is shy with strangers or is it just TED visits that flip her
into dead mode?
When Boyfie and Tigger visited TED together, Tigger showed his fear in a
different way. Outwardly he marched out of his carrier and stood up bravely
on the table for his flu+ injection and let the vet pet him. He was
sweating so much he left wet pawprints on the examination table and it was
not a hot day.

My brother is a bit disappointed with Tigger as a pet as he will never get
on his lap. He only likes my niece Charlotte (12)
He rarely makes an appearance if I am in their house and if he does he makes
it very clear that he is too important and regal to know me ;-)
(best not remind him of his humble upbringing, he was dumped at the RSPCA as
a small kitten)
I quite like an arrogant cat - those that have made the best of a poor start
in life.

Tweed