Old July 31st 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default OT - LA Bans Fast Food

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
Now Big Brother is telling us what we can and can't eat??!!!

The smoking ban was tough on smokers, but at least there was some
rationale
that the non-smoking public was put at risk by second-hand smoke. But
who
does it hurt when we eat a Big Mac??!

The arguments I've heard from Food Nazis is that it hurts the entire
country, in that the public ends up paying for the increased medical
costs
associated with an obese public.

I know, the article mentioned that but I'm not buying it. Last time I
checked the US does *not* have national health care so these claims seem
pretty specious to me. You could make that same argument for just about
anything you want that doesn't involve people staying at home with their
heads under the covers!

We don't have national health care, but county hospitals have to treat
patients who can't pay. The public pays for that.

Joy