Old February 15th 15, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Default Counting stray cats while cycling at night

buglady wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Having fewer stray cats in Europe nowadays probably helps keep the
bubonic plague away. You all were nearly wiped out and traumatized by
the bubonic plague, makes sense that you are scared to death of stray
animals. I hope something like that never happens here, but I fear it
could.

..........Huh? Bubonic plague comes from fleas on rats or other
rodents.

Obviously it can come from fleas on cats too. Fleas are equal
opportunity biters. Otherwise they wouldn't bite us.

Cats killed rats. Unfortunately cats can be killed by the plague too,
so things only got worse over time.

My guess is that depending on cats to kill rats was one of their
problems. Using cats is probably better than using poison and traps, but
better would be cleaning up after themselves. Avoid attracting the rats
in the first place.

The major factor of spread was the rats on the ships, which
transported it all over. And there already is bubonic plague here
popping up occasionally in AZ.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/plague/

That's very interesting.

.........She's saying the cats in the UK are owned, not strays, not
that there aren't cats all over outside.

I C. I should have been more precise in my wording.

--

buglady take out the dog before replying