Old December 30th 03, 05:13 PM
GAUBSTER2

From: (Meghan Noecker)

They showed multiple downer cows being hauled in. It was disgusting at
how inhumanely the animals were treated, and more disgusting to think
that a dirty animal lying in feces and too sick to stand would be
considered good enough for usage as food.

Where did that footage originate? News stations are guilty of frequently using
"file footage" that is passed off as locally obtained.

I really believe that most of these problems would not exist, if all
down cows were put down humanely on the spot, a sample taken for
testing, and the rest of the cow destroyed with no usage whatsoever.
Yes, it would be a loss financially, but I would rather pay higher
prices for meat and products and cover that farmers' costs of doing
bsuiness, than risk a sick animal being put into the food system. If
the animal is sick enough to warrant testing, then it should be
considered a loss. As it is, they go into the system, and end up
spreading the problem.

I agree completely w/ you, Megan. As it is, out meat supply is pretty safe,
but this would be a good rule of thumb as far as I'm concerned.