Old April 10th 08, 09:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default I had to pass this on

"cindys" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote
My feelings are in constant turmoil.

I really feel for you, Phil. You are a stronger person than I am,
that you can do this. You do so much good, but I know you
suffer often. I loved the video, sent it on all over the place.

Rescue got to me so bad that I quit. But doing nothing felt even worse.

So
my retirement lasted about a day.

I you really want to help homeless and feral cats but can't handle the
heartaches that come with rescue, provide holding space for cats before
and
after surgery for a rescue group in your area. Usually 2 or 3 days

before
and after surgery. Holding space is number 2 on the most needed list.
Your
cats never have to come in contact with the cats because they never come
out
of the cage and you don't have to release the cats. The group will

provide
everything.

Think about it.

---------------
Thank you! I have fostered cats in the past, and the problem for me was

the
expectation that I would bring them to the Petco on Tuesday evening and/or
Sunday afternoon to be seen by potential adoptive families. I'm happy to
take care of them in my home, but I work evenings and Sundays, and I

simply
don't have the time to be transporting cats back and forth every week,
especially to a Petco that's a 30-minute drive from my house. So, the

result
would be that the cats wouldn't be shown (they could be viewed on the
internet, but it's not the same), they would be with me for a long time, I
would get attached, and then they would be adopted (by me!)

But if the only thing I needed to do were to provide a place for a cat to
stay for a few days post-surgery, that might not be such a big deal. I'm
going to seriously consider this. However, I must admit that when rescue
groups seek volunteers, I have never heard them ask for someone who can
provide several days' of holding space. Don't the cats generally stay at

the
vet as they're recuperating and then go to a regular foster home?
Best regards,
--Cindy S.

Cindy,

I was referring more to holding ferals before and after surgery for groups
doing TNR and/or holding adoptable cats waiting to go into fosters. Holding
ferals for TNR usually takes about a week- depending on how fast the group
can get the cats in for neutering. The cats never come out of the cage. All
you do is give them food and water, change the litter and check on them.
They're less stressed if you cover the cage and just leave them alone.
Holding adoptables for foster could take a few weeks- depending on how long
it takes the foster to home the cats she has- but all you have to do is
feed, water, clean the cages, and spend some time with the cats. If you're
working with a group that pulls cats from kill shelters like we do they'll
be grateful- I know I would be- and so would the cat whose life you saved
because you gave him a place to stay until a foster was open.

Best of luck, and thanks.

Phil