Old July 4th 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

Default cat needs to lose weight - calorie question

On Jul 4, 7:36*am, jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Kalmia exclaimed (7/3/2009 8:15 PM):

Cat is 18 lb. *Should be 15. *How many calories a day does he need to
attain and maintain 15 lb.? *I think he needs to be on senior food
too.

He's 11 years old, neutered, not too active. *Won't go outside unless
door is open for quick retreat - can't do that in the summer with the
a/c on. *No health problems, tho.

Thanks.

As others have said, for cats we don't talk about how many calories,
only how much food.

If you're free-feeding him dry, stop or slowly reduce the amount. *Make
good quality canned food (grain-free if he's not a carbivore like my
cat) the basis of his diet.

As in people, fast weight loss isn't good. *Gradual changes in diet, and
gradual weight loss.

Also, try to get him more active - a string or laser pointer is good to
start, you can try different toys to see what he likes - see if you can
get him to play about 15 minutes per day.

Good luck, your cat may not appreciate it but you're doing the right
thing. *Stick to your guns and don't let him tell you he's starving to
death

jmc

I measured his food for a year - and still he gained 1/4 lb. I tried
the diet food - hated it and picked it out. (I'd mixed it with his
regular dry food). I've tried alternating wet and dry, giving wet
every third day.
Now he eats it as fast as he can. He had a recent physical, but no
trouble found. One other thing - he poops outside the box every once
in a while - esp. If I don't get up in time to scoop it to his
liking. I'm not about to get up in the night to clean a box.