Old April 10th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Did diabetes treatment do this to him?

"Charles Packer" wrote in message
On Apr 8, 12:24 pm, "cindys" wrote:
The good news is if the cat is immediately put on a low-carb, canned-
only, grain-free diet (she uses Wellness Beef and Chicken, Turkey, and
Turkey and Salmon for the diabetics she works with), the owners home-
test blood sugar using a glucometer such as the One Touch Ultra and

He's at least moving toward a low-carb diet by default,
since my wife is trying to find tasty food in which to
dissolve his Glipizide dose. I would question the use
of Glipizide too, on the grounds that, based upon what
I read in Wikipedia, he's been prescribed a human-sized
dose -- 5 mg -- albeit twice a day instead of every
5 hours, the way humans take it. But my wife and I agree that
we don't want to be sticking him with a needle regularly,
for any purpose; she because she'd have to do it -- this
is where I say "It's your cat" -- and I because it seems
ridiculous to torture an animal so it can be your
companion for a little while longer.

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews

Lantus would be a much better choice, and this would not necessarily prolong
your cat's life for only "a little while longer." It also is not torture.
People who deal with diabetic cats have had a very high response rate --
nearly 100% -- if they adopt cat food without grains (cats do not need
carbs), monitor blood glucose regularly, and administer insulin precisely as
needed. This is likely to be temporary if you and your wife will stick to
the routine because cats often go into remission in a very short period of
time.

To answer your specific question: Dosage is *critical.* You need to check
blood glucose levels at home (very easy to do) and not merely "guess" at the
correct dose.

Please read Rene's message carefully. It is excellent advice.

MaryL