Old July 26th 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.spam
John Doe[_2_]

Default John Doe

What a coincidence. Merriam-Webster was the first dictionary
publisher to accept my definition of the word "save" as
advertising uses it every day all day.

BUY NOW AND SAVE!!!
SAVE $20
SAVE MONEY

I got a confirmation letter from Oxford University Press and
they ended up publishing it 10 years later. Every other major
dictionary has published my definition of "save".

Anytime the original poster wants to lecture me on semantics,
it should think about that. All day every day. Language is
for communication, that is all. If the OP has trouble
understanding someone it can ask for clarification.

Really, the OP needs to get out more. On the open Internet in
busy discussion with people from all different countries, one
cannot be picky.

Thanks to the other reply author.

--

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 05:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: John Doe
From: pfjw aol.com

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feral

First and Second a) definition have nothing to do with formerly domesticated.

Common usage is often apart from base meaning, put another way, a term abused becomes muddled at the cost of accuracy.

"Feral" is a specific term that has lost some of its edge due to misuse.

So, let's just stick with "like a Lynx or Mountain Lion" as context rather than trying to force the exception.

Keep in mind that there are very nearly 300,000 distinct words in the English Language, including obsolete words. Compounds and derivatives bring this to very nearly 1,000,000.

The average American uses about 5,000. Any wonder why so many of those few that are used are abused?

As to "Opinion":

ƒ oYou are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.ƒ

ƒ  Harlan Ellison

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA