Old October 6th 03, 07:52 PM
JLove98905

Why aren't the welfare groups putting pressure
on the venues and arranging boycotts and demonstrations?

I agree that using wild animals for entertainment purposes is unfair, but I'm
not sure how I feel about boycotting S&R. I recently went to Las Vegas and
stayed at the Mirage. I visited the animal areas, and was surprised to learn
that Siegfried and Roy spend a lot of money on conservation programs. In
addition to the lions and tigers, they also have a dolphin facility. There was
some work done on dolphin behavior there, which I remembered as being similar
to my own behavioral research with chimpanzees. The ideal solution would be to
cut the performing, and focus on the conservation. Maybe that's what they'll do
going forward.
I guess the point it, they have done some good for seriously threatened
species, in addition to their show work. At least *part* of the ludicrous
amount of money they make goes back to the animals.
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright