Old September 30th 03, 01:39 AM
Marek Williams

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 04:26:43 GMT, Marek Williams
dijo:

Old George

I got home early enough today to stop at one of the vets in the area.
I inquired about Revolution and the nice lady vet sold me some ($13.75
for enough for two dosings). However, I have a couple questions.

First, she asked how much George weighed and, of course, I had no
idea. He's a full size cat, but pretty skinny. We guessed he was in
the 5 to 10 lb category.

She did not have the correct size in stock, so she sold me one in a
brown package and gave me a syringe to divide it into two doses.
However, the package says it is for "dogs 10.1 - 20 lbs in weight."
According to the literature sheet that came with it, the tube contains
60 mg selamectin. The sheet also said that cats of up to 5 lbs should
have 15 mg and 5.1 to 15 lbs should have 45 mg. A cat of 10 lbs,
therefore, should have 30 mg (using a little math). However, George
does not weigh 10 lbs; he's probably closer to 7-8 lbs. Furthermore,
it says to use cautiously in underweight animals. George is not only
still pretty skinny, but he's really old and has had a tough life. I'm
thinking I should divide the 60 mg into three doses of 20 mg for
starters.

Also, I'm just a bit concerned because the box says nothing about cats
on it. It just says it is for dogs. Of course, it is still selamectin,
so I guess that doesn't really matter.

Then there is the problem of getting into the tube. The instructions
say to push down on the cap to puncture the inner seal (with a little
picture), and then remove the cap. I pressed until I thought the cap
was going to penetrate the flesh of my thumb. Then I tried to remove
the cap. No luck. It's just plastic so, if push comes to shove, I have
a knife I can use on it, but is there some trick to getting the cap
off the tube? I don't want this stuff squirting all over the room!

Meantime Old George is turning into a real glutton for attention. When
I pet him he doesn't want me to stop. If I stop he reaches up with his
paw and tries to pull my hand back. I usually acquiesce and let him
have some more. After all, the poor old guy has a lot of lost time to
make up for,

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.