Old December 21st 04, 06:27 PM
floralswag

Default moving two cats...territory issues?

I'll soon be moving to a new house with my two cats and am wondering
how this might shift the balance of power between them.
These are two neutered males, Max is 4.5 years old and Sketch is 1.5
years old.

Here's the situation:
When I moved to my current house, I only had Max. He spent the first
week in the laundry room (hiding behind the washer and dryer for the
first two days), before he was brave enough to venture out and explore.

About 6 months ago we brough Sketch home, and within an hour he was
ready to move beyond the bedroom and explore the rest of the house(we
didn't let him out for a week though because we wanted to introduce the
cats to each other slowly). The two cats get a long for the most part,
but I'm pretty sure Max is the "top cat". I'm thinking this because
Sketch licks Max a lot, while Max doesn't reciprocate this behavior.

When we move to our new house, here's what I expect will happen...we
will keep each cat in a separate room for a few days, then open the
door to let them out. If past history is any indication, I suspect that
Sketch will have already completely explored the whole house and rubbed
his scent on it, before Max ever gets up the courage to go beyond his
room.

Will this shift the balance of power between them, making Sketch the
top cat? And if it does, is it something I should worry about?