Old December 21st 04, 06:42 PM
Mathew Kagis

When we move to our new house, here's what I expect will happen...we
will keep each cat in a separate room for a few days, then open the
door to let them out. If past history is any indication, I suspect that
Sketch will have already completely explored the whole house and rubbed
his scent on it, before Max ever gets up the courage to go beyond his
room.

Will this shift the balance of power between them, making Sketch the
top cat? And if it does, is it something I should worry about?

I think you will experience a power shift. I don't think it's cause for
major concern. I'm expecting a slow power shift with my two as they grow.
Chablis (5 months) is definitely the Alpha cat. Muscat (3 months) is the
newcomer & follows Chablis's lead... But the size difference between them
will shrink as they get older & I'm expecting the young male to challenge
his big 'sister's' dominance. As they are both young, they are bonding
nicely and acting like littermates in many respects... By the time the snow
melts in spring I think there may be a more complex 'power sharing'
arrangement between them. Fascinating to watch.... Hope your cat's new
peace treaty works out well. Can't wait to hear the results.
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat