Old August 2nd 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default John Doe

Peter W. wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 9:01:28 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
Peter W. wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Mark, Mr. Schenk:

Two things: I did state that if one wishes to dilute the value of
words, us Lynx or Mountain Lion to understand the point.

Then, consider William of Occam - "semi-feral" is neither. Neither
semi (anything) nor feral (anything).

Answer one question, carefully: Were you to find/trap a genuine
European Wild Cat under your control, would you attempt to 'gentle
it' into a house pet? That is a yes/no question. Once answered,
please apply that answer to the next actual Feral you encounter.
They are NOT, in any way, shape, form or after however much
wishful thinking, anything like any sort of barn cat, stray cat,
homeless cat, nor any other sort of human-interactive cat at any
level, however removed. Full stop.

Please answer.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Peter, lets start that you can't even spell my nickname, nor did you
have any reason to assume my sex (got it wrong BTW). You also
changed breeds off the domestic line.

Unless you have OCD issues, the world is not 'black or white, with
no shades of grey'. If you do really think the world is a yes or no
place with no shades of color, then I am sorry that you feel that
way but will endtrans the conversation as not worth my time.

Lets try it another way. How many years and in what capacity do you
have with cat rescue?

I have 37 years at it, working my ways up to to harder cases. It
takes time, patience, knowledge, and willing to accept what will
not change.

--

I have been rescuing - and not from shelters - cats at one level or
another for very nearly 50 years now, and on two continents. None of

I do notice your evasion of the direct question: What would YOU do
were you by accident or design in control of a European Wild Cat?

In my case, it was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabian_wildcat
that my wife and I found injured and barely conscious on the highway
between Riyadh and Khobar - not by a vehicle, but probably by some
other predator. After having it vetted, cleaned, and a few stitches
(all the while tranquilized) it became clear that this one was no
domestic cat (the Bedouin are very fond of cats for many good reasons
- so seeing cats away from civilization is not uncommon). The vet
kept it for two days to make sure that there were no complications -
it drank but did not eat - and then I returned it to where we found
it. It did not look back.

So, your answer?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Peter, I do not live in Europe so I am more like to encounter an
American Bobcat. Do you feel your version of a wild cat matters more
than ours? I do not know.

Since you seem to post with a USA addess, is there a reason why you
center on a Europe version of feline? (PA seems USA and if i am wrong,
my apologies).