Old March 1st 13, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Second cat to help my big one exercise?

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013 14:43:22 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

My cat is 9 and overweight. The doctor said he needs to lose weight or could get diabetes. He's an indoor cat and gets bored of any new game quickly. He's already been on the diet food. Would a new kitten help encourage him to move around and get some exercise? He could use some company as well

This is something that is a concern of mine.

I have had Pookie for just over two years, so she is about 2-1/2 years
old and is terribly overweight. Pookie was never much of a playful
kitten, either. She had a few days of homelessness in her, and I
believe that tends to dampen their playfulness.

I just got Bubba this past January. What a personality - and she
makes me laugh! She chases Pookie, and Pookie chases her, but I
haven't seen any change in Pookie's weight. I had hoped that another
cat would help.

But I feed them too much. I have a bowl of dried catfood down for
them and give them 1/4 can Fancy Feast twice a day. Every time I go
into the kitchen, there they are - expecting to be fed. I feel guilty
eating without giving them something.