Old August 29th 04, 11:47 PM
Wendy

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message
In article vsrYc.90734$mD.42701@attbi_s02,
"KellyH" wrote:

Even though 6 weeks is young to take a kitten away from his mother, if

the
mother is indeed feral, it is better for the kitten to start becoming
socialized now. Which, it seems you are having much success at!

He's coming along great! He even let me read while he was curled up
under my chin just now, not demanding petting or attention, just
snoozing in a little black and white ball. When I come in the room now,
instead of huddling in the back of the cage he either dances up to be
let out and cuddled or else gets up from sleeping and takes a nice long
stretch before demanding *out*. :-)

He is very very cute, as you probably can tell. Melissa was over
earlier today, and we were talking while she petted him. I looked down
at him and he had his little face raised watching her face intently
while she talked. :-) He's probably going to live with her eventually,
or if not then with a good friend of hers. Melissa has three cats
already, one of whom is special needs (grown-up kitten of a mom with
distemper), and the special needs cat's needs need to be considered
first. I think it might work out, though. I hope so, because I don't
want to lose touch with Sprocket.

You may also want to try taking a damp cottonball to his behind after he
eats, stroking him gently with it. Then, put him right in the

litterbox.

OK. I thought he was too old to need that, though. He pees and poops
at other times (when I'm not there or asleep). I'll give it a short
before resorting to dirt.

Priscilla

He is too old to *need* that. However, try standing him in the litter box,
take his paws and scratch, then gently wipe his bum. Then take his paws and
scratch again. It will probably only take a time or two before he gets the
picture and is using the box on his own. It's always worked with my foster
kitties.