Old December 27th 03, 05:01 PM
Steven Cook

Can cats even get mad cow disease?
________

Dunno, but technically we can't either, but we can get vCJD (variant
Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease) I can't recall if they ever established a
direct link between eating BSE and contracting vCJD.

The danger area is the brain and spinal cord, as it is believed the
BSE prion can be transmitted by ingesting cuts of meat contaminated
with this material.

If cat food manufacturers use this material in their feed and if there
is a similar brain wasting disease in cats then I'd be very wary, but
I can't recall any scare connected to pet food and BSE here in the UK.
Maybe someone else has a better memory than me can add to this... Hey
I wonder if my short term memory loss is related to vCJD.... ;o)