Old August 14th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Sheelagh >o

Default Cat Pregnancy Questions?

On 14 Aug, 15:32, Skye wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions!

These are two different cats:

1. Generally speaking, how old can a queen be and still be going into
heat and producing offspring? In other words, please God, is there
such a thing as feline menopause??? :-/

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

I'd so appreciate some answers!

Skye

These are two different cats:

1. Generally speaking, how old can a queen be and still be going into
heat and producing offspring? In other words, please God, is there
such a thing as feline menopause??? :-/

I used to breed, & the eldest queen that I knew about was 8 years old.
Generally a breeder would be wise enough to retire their Queen by 5
years old though. To ask a Queen to breed beyond that age, would be to
entertain trouble & strife, & unfair on the cat. If you can see that
her teats are enlarged & pink, then I suggest that you get yourself &
your cat to the vet asap. Unlike USA, over in the UK (where I am
posting from), We have to find a vet who would ethically be willing to
spay the Queen & abort her kittens. Nonetheless, find a vet to fit her
into their surgery ASAP & have her spayed to ensure that this never
happens again....

I am sorry, but I can't answer your question regarding feline
menopause, because I always spayed my Queens before 5 years of age.
However, It's Possible that another person here might be able to
answer that for you.

2. I've got another younger cat, first time queen, shows all the
symptoms of pregnancy - more than a month along. However, every
few days, she's spotting blood from the vulva. Not much though, and
otherwise she acts fine. Is this normal, or should I be contacting
the
vet?

YES!!

Ring your vet right now & ask if they can squeeze her into their
schedule, PLEASE? No, it is not normal at all!

I know that you really aren't going to want to hear this, but it needs
to be said. If she is a first time queen, & she is spotting, it
doesn't bode well for future pregnancies. If you are a breeder, I
realise that you are going to continue to try mating her @ least once
more time, to see if you can recoup your money for your Queen.

If this is the case, & this happens again, I really would recommend
that you spay her ASAP, & either keep her as a pet, or sell her.
PLEASE, ensure that you spay her if she is a registered Queen, & do
not sell her as a registered Queen. I say this because there are
unscrupulous breeders that would do this, if only to get their money
back, but it would be quite possibly at the expense of her life.
Please, do think carefully about this one. My advice is to spay both
her & your older Queen.
If you feel that you can't do both, then have your elder Queen first,
& fast too?!

Sheelagh "o"