Old January 24th 06, 11:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default New family member?

The young man in the apartment across the hall moved out over the weekend
(sort of - he took his TV set and stereo, but left most of his furniture,
some of his clothes, and his cat). He was under notice of eviction, since
he hadn't paid his rent for three months, carefully avoided any encounter
with the building manager, and ignored any written notices. He did leave
food and water for her - plus a litter box that reeked of ammonia (no
wonder she'd been using the carpet, instead). Since Melisande is a
sociable sort, and I know badly misses her former roommate (Patches, RB) I
said I'd take this one on until they can find a home for her. We named
her Jasmine (if the neighbor ever named her, he didn't share that
information), and if things continue as peacefully as they've started out,
it looks like Melisande has a new companion.

The manager would take her, but her neutered male snowshoe started
protesting before they even got the little orphan inside their door. (He
likes dogs, but not other cats, it seems.) She's adorable, very tiny (at
least compared to eleven pound Melly) a black and white splotched domestic
short-hair, and (we discovered to our dismay) declawed.

Melly's approach to her has been cautious, but amiable - no growls, just a
few curious sniffs, and a great deal of quiet observation. The newcomer,
also, hasn't really puffed up and hissed (just a small, warning spit when
Melly got too friendly). However, now she's beginning to feel more at
ease, I've been hearing the most alarming growls and yowls from that
direction. She's very timid, so apparently hasn't the courage to attack
(or the armament - which for the moment may be fortunate), and Melly just
walks away when she starts cutting up, but it's Melisande's home, and I
don't quite know how to convince the newcomer that it is SHE who is the
guest, here!

The declawed bit worries me a little - especially since Melly absolutely
REFUSED (vehmently) to have her own claws clipped in deference to the
newcomer's lack of natural defenses - but judging by the lack of any real
friction so far, it looks as though I'll be buying rations for two, again.
We'll see how it goes tonight (and if they let me sleep). The way my
small apartment is laid out, I don't have any way of segregating the two,
but if they continue their current behaviour, I shouldn't need to.

Bless you for taking Jasmine in, and may the itnegration go peacably.

Yowie