Old January 24th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default New family member?

The young man in the apartment across the hall moved out
over the weekend (sort of - he took his TV set and stereo,
but left most of his furniture, some of his clothes, and his
cat). He was under notice of eviction, since he hadn't paid
his rent for three months, carefully avoided any encounter
with the building manager, and ignored any written notices.
He did leave food and water for her - plus a litter box
that reeked of ammonia (no wonder she'd been using the
carpet, instead). Since Melisande is a sociable sort, and I
know badly misses her former roommate (Patches, RB) I said
I'd take this one on until they can find a home for her. We
named her Jasmine (if the neighbor ever named her, he didn't
share that information), and if things continue as
peacefully as they've started out, it looks like Melisande
has a new companion.

The manager would take her, but her neutered male snowshoe
started protesting before they even got the little orphan
inside their door. (He likes dogs, but not other cats, it
seems.) She's adorable, very tiny (at least compared to
eleven pound Melly) a black and white splotched domestic
short-hair, and (we discovered to our dismay) declawed.

Melly's approach to her has been cautious, but amiable - no
growls, just a few curious sniffs, and a great deal of quiet
observation. The newcomer, also, hasn't really puffed up
and hissed (just a small, warning spit when Melly got too
friendly). However, now she's beginning to feel more at
ease, I've been hearing the most alarming growls and yowls
from that direction. She's very timid, so apparently hasn't
the courage to attack (or the armament - which for the
moment may be fortunate), and Melly just walks away when she
starts cutting up, but it's Melisande's home, and I don't
quite know how to convince the newcomer that it is SHE who
is the guest, here!

The declawed bit worries me a little - especially since
Melly absolutely REFUSED (vehmently) to have her own claws
clipped in deference to the newcomer's lack of natural
defenses - but judging by the lack of any real friction so
far, it looks as though I'll be buying rations for two,
again. We'll see how it goes tonight (and if they let me
sleep). The way my small apartment is laid out, I don't
have any way of segregating the two, but if they continue
their current behaviour, I shouldn't need to.

I am so glad you took her in! She must have been so scared. I think some
of the best "kids" are acquired this way, though. I hope all goes smoothly.
Congratulations! You're a two-timing slave again. :~)

kili