Old April 23rd 05, 10:50 PM
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Enfilade wrote:

But when you were in the military, did you ever do survival

training?
Oh, wait, you said you would draw the line at moldy food, so no ST.
I'm pretty certain I'd have to pass on the rotting stuff, but I've
eaten moldy food (hell, I've eaten bugs before, knowingly).

Yes, I've done survival exercises, but only for a few days in length,
and Canadian IMPs (individual meal packets) are considerably better
than American MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).

And anyone one in the American Military (past or present) will tell you
that the gov't translates "meals" very, very loosely. But two weeks in
a swamp, and even those "tubes of meat paste" taste pretty darn good.
Especially when one was NOT to have a campfire during the "training".
I got pretty good at eating fish (which I have always despised) raw,
and no it wasn't sushi (which I also do not care for).

(Another thing I'll confess to is being the duty van driver on half

of
the survival exercises I've attended. If I have to load the van and
drive the van (and in one case, sleep in the van--I do NOT recommed
this in the fall and winter months), then I think I have the right to
put my own survival-kit in the van. It consists of pepsi and

doritos)

--Fil

PS I also once ate moldy cheese, and, though I grossed out when I
realized what I'd done, I'd eaten half of it by then, blue fur and
all.

I think I'd have preferred the van to the mosquitoes. I just hate
having bugs (and other things) crawling over me...

Smokie Darling (Annie)