Old June 22nd 11, 12:58 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.dogs.health,uk.business.agriculture,sci.agriculture
Char

Default What's in pet food?

On 6/21/2011 5:11 PM, dh@. wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:24:24 -0400, wrote:

On 6/20/2011 11:25 PM, dh@. wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:00:36 -0400, wrote:

On 6/17/2011 3:25 PM, Dutch wrote:
wrote

Having said all that, all you and your friends are doing is repeating
the same crap over and over again and not adding anything new to the
debate so why do it?
It's the broken record tactic. If he makes the same meaningless sound
often enough he believes eventually someone will have to listen to
him. He's also working on the "last word wins" theory. It's the result
of a bankrupt mind.
So what? Why is it important to worry so much about one person and one
idea?
They don't want people to get the idea that it could be ethically equivalent
or supior to provide lives of positive value for the animals we raise for food,
instead of elimininating them entirely. The worst thing that could happen for
eliminationists, would be for it to become popular for people to appreciate when
animals raised for food get to enjoy decent lives of positive value.

But that is already happening.

Yes :-) But very slowly.

Many of us buy eggs from chickens that
haven't been factory farmed and lived wonderful lives running loose
eating bugs and other good things. We also buy beef from cattle that
were grass fed in huge fields living wonderful lives running around as
cattle should, and killed in a humane fashion. Same story with pigs and
other farm animals.

Most people aren't in the position that it's practical to do that.

That's not true. The truth is that most people don't want to take the
time and energy to look for these alternatives or don't know they exist
to begin with.

About the
best most of us can conveniently get are cage free eggs. If instead of crying
for elimination people were encouraging appreciation for decents lives, it seems
likely we would be able to get grass fed meat and dairy products and cage free
eggs as easily as vegetarian products. And if instead of becoming veg*n people
tried to contribute to decent lives for livestock, more livestock would enjoy
decent lives. I believe that even if you don't.

Why do you care what "they" think? You think by trolling you will change
someone's mind? Are you really that naive?

I point out facts. What people do with the information is out of my control,
but I can still point the facts out none the less. I enjoy pointing out
information that eliminationists are opposed to people taking into
consideration. I believe those people are mentally ill, but information COULD
help them get significantly better IF they would let it. For example none of
them can appreciate what you mentioned about some animals having good lives.
From my pov that's sort of a mental illness, and certainly a severe mental
failing for anyone who actually cares about animals, and all they would have to
do to get over it would be to just get over it. Then they could move on...so I
encourage them to move on... Since you know what I'm talking about and they do
not, instead of me quit telling them the truth, why don't you tell them the
truth too? At least tell them a couple of times so I'm not the only one that
EVER does it any more. Just let them know that yes, many livestock animals do
enjoy decent lives of positive value. Even if you don't fight back when they
attack, just let them know you know...

That's a waste of time because you aren't going to change anyone's mind
and the group I'm posting from is for dog topics only which means this
entire thread is off topic and doesn't belong here.