Old August 10th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

Default For you Job Hunters OT, maybe

Interesting. Is this just for a masters degree? Not for undergrads,
right? Never heard of this for bachelors degrees.

I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't imagine that those languages would be
required for an undergrad degree. At the time I was interested in the
Masters program, so that's all I looked in to.

I know a lot of important work in math has been done in the countries
where those languages are spoken, so I guess you need to be able to
access the original works in the native language - is that the idea? But
I'm surprised that most of them have not been translated already.

I believe that's the general idea. If you're fluent in one of those
languages you can follow the publications in that language without having
to wait for a translation.

I wonder what's being done in Israel these days that puts Hebrew on the
list? That country hasn't been around very long, so these must be pretty
recent developments.

It's been many years since I've tried to follow developments, but I know
that a lot of the advanced crypto work being published a decade or so ago
was coming out of Israel.