Old January 10th 14, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Okay Tweed here goes

wrote in message
My Xmas present to myself is a 10 litre Halogen oven with all the bits (I
thought the 7 litre was the better size but then things like the air fryer
ring doesn't come in that size..well give that Phillips make air fryer
machines and they're a lot more expensive that saves money. Dave loves oven
chips so the ring will soon pay for itself since otherwise you have to pre
heat the oven and put them in for 30 or so minutes) I've even brought my
first ever cook book (The other one I have was a gift)

So here goes,,any really basic tips?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

----------
What brand is it for a start?
The first tip is that it burns food easily on the top without cooking the
bottom IYSWIM, so you need to learn to manage this by using foil to cover
i.e. pies and pin the foil down with one of the racks otherwise it will
float away. The foil, not the pie ;-)
2. You have to be careful with oven chips, use the extender ring with the
high rack and watch them very carefully otherwise they'll be burnt to a
cinder.
3. Remember that the temperatures you used in a conventional oven for the
same food will be too hot in your halogen oven so tone it down and cut the
time.

You'll have to experiment as I did, but I'm happy with mine and I use it
quite a lot.
I broke the bowl (or rather it broke itself!) on my first one, so I bought
another, this time digital. I thought it would be better but unlike my
first one with turning controls which were quite happy to keep going along
if I removed the top and switched it off to turn food, the digital one
didn't like this and needed to be reset, so I'm using the old top on the new
bowl - fits fine.
The manufacturers say you can cook a whole meal in one. I disagree, but
you can certainly cook a chicken in an hour (they say 45 mins, bit
ambitious, tried it) which would take my conventional cooker an hour and a
half.

For yourself (who I suspect isn't much into cooking from scratch, correct me
if I'm wrong) it will be great when you get used to it, and that's the key,
you have to get used to it by experimenting with your favourite foods and
will probably have a few failures at first.

Oh, and they don't take much warming up. I never warm mine up, I just bung
the food in straight away and it's up to temp in a couple of minutes.

Good luck

Tweed