Old April 22nd 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.animals.wildlife,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Animals do not "anticipate"

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:46:35 +0300, "Mixu Lauronen" wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:32:07 +0300, wrote:

Dogs and other animals ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE this kind
of understanding, and THEREFORE do not "anticipate"
anything.

This is arguable. Experiences with gorillas and chimpanzees who had been
taught sign language have showed their capability of anticipating things.
They have talked about a wish to become a mother and about tomorrow, even
about death. That seems pretty anticipatory to me.

No doubt. On a more basic level, some if not most animals would not be able
to survive if they didn't anticipate. I've explained to Goo that birds of prey
would starve if they didn't anticipate getting a meal by hunting, but he can't
understand things like that. Even fish learn to anticipate when and where
they can get food, but such facts are lost on some people apparently.