Old April 3rd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default *Phone Calls/ & text messaging

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

Text messaging is a whole 'nother matter altogether.
I can see how it can be used 'usefully' for those who are hearing/speech
impaired, or otherwise impaired,
but why do teen-agers sit there and text to each other when they can just '
talk'? Geez, that makes NO sense to me at all.

It can also be really useful for folks who just rally, raelly hate to talk
on the phone

It's a common geek problem, Dan. Actually, it's a common problem,
period. I've grown to hate the phone more and more over the years. And
for me it's not due to shyness. I just feel trapped on the phone, like
I'm wasting gobs of time but can't hang up. Some people really do create
that situation, by talking on endlessly, and not providing a space for
me to say, "Well, I need to go now..." in a polite and natural manner.
So if I want to say that, I have to interrupt them, or just kind of blurt
it out awkwardly while the other person is taking a breath. I don't
always have the energy to be rude, even when it's the other person's
fault.

So I've solved that problem by just turning off my phone ringer, or not
answering it if I do have the ringer on, but checking the voice mail or
caller ID immediately afterward to make sure it's not urgent.

--
Joyce ^..^

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name.