Old February 10th 05, 02:44 PM
Kreisleriana

On 10 Feb 2005 05:33:51 -0800, "Katz"
yodeled:

Christina Websell wrote:
I had to take her firmly
in hand when she said "airplane" and "cookie" and "sidewalk" !!

asks humbly What's British for sidewalk?

Katz

1) Raising hand and waving it frantically I know!! I know!
"Pavement."

2) We say "cookie" because the word originated in the New Amsterdam
colony, later New York. It was originally the Dutch word "koekje."

3) "Aeroplane!!!???"
imitating Graham Chapman in old Monty Python "Flying Lessons"
sketch Oh, 'an aeroplane'. Oh, I say, we are grand, aren't we?
(imitation posh accent) 'Oh, oh, no more buttered scones for me,
mater. I'm off to play the grand piano'. 'Pardon me while I fly my
aeroplane.' :P

Theresa