Old September 5th 03, 04:30 PM
Jo Firey

"Jette Goldie" wrote in message

Dogs, on the other hand, can happily survive on catfood - in
fact one of the local vets suggests feeding elderly and ailing
dogs on cat food because it is more nourishing for them.

Cat food nearly killed our first dog. She went into kidney failure at seven. And
that was just what she stole from the cat. The high protein is hard on their
kidneys. This was before we learned to be picky about buying non-grocery store
foods. Now we feed Nutro.

However, I never found a better training snack for a dog than a few pieces of cat
kibble kept in a pocket.

And cat food might be nourishing for some elderly dogs who are simply not eating.
(Mine says she'd rather have steak and lamb) But most senior dog foods contain more
cereal (rice) not less than food for younger animals.

Jo