Old April 3rd 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Default Cat doors

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 12:44:18 -0700, Cadman wrote:

Hi,

I am in the market for a new cat door. I installed a simple cat door a couple of years ago. It is
not electronic or magnetic - just a typical plastic swinging door that the cat opens by pushing
against it.

The problem is that raccoons have discovered the opening and like to come in to dine on cat food
while we sleep. We have decided to install a more modern door, but have had little luck finding
exactly what we need.

It appears there are 2 basic door types: electronic and magnetic. In either type, the cat wears a
device on its collar that unlocks the cat door. We purchased a magnetic door but found that the
magnet our cat would have to wear on her collar was enormous. She would rip her collar off in no time.

So, we are now looking at electronic/Infrared doors. There are many to choose from and we are
wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Pros/cons on any particular brands/models.

Also, this needs to be a wall-mountable door. As a carpenter I have no problem constructing a
tunnel to connect the two sides of the door, but most cat doors we have found are strictly designed
to be installed in a door.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I have this problem - possums are even worse. There *is* a solution,
but it doesn't involve the cat flap all that much.

The solution is to take advantage of the facts that cats can jump, and
possums and coons can't. Put the hole through the wall at least three
feet from the ground or a nearby platform, then provide a platform for
the cats to jump to in order to get to the flap. This page about a
raccoon-proof outdoor cat feeder should give you some ideas.

I have a tunnel through my back wall and have been working on
weather-proof flaps. The general idea is that since cats can open
cabinet doors, they can also open a flap that rests on a support away
from the main surface and has a very loose top hinge. I found that
the surface that the flap rests on needs to extend farther out at the
bottom. I use two hinges bolted together to give a really floppy
action. I replace the hinge pins with smaller brass rod. One flap on
each side, with weather stripping of some sort (I haven't found the
ideal stuff yet) where the flaps actually rest provides tight sealing
regardless of whether the wind is blowing in or out. You could just
mount th hinged flap inside the tunnel. I have found that cats like
their flaps rigid, clear, and clean so I use Lucite and provide a
handle for quickly and easily removing one of the hinge pins so I can
take the flap inside for cleaning, or even replace it with an already
cleaned spare.

--
T.E.D. )