Old July 30th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default John Doe

wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Hmmmm… I have come to doubt this individual’s understanding of
what a “Feral” cat actually is. There are, typically four types
of cats seen in outdoor settings, broad brush: a) Housecats that
are allowed outdoors – common enough. In some areas, outdoor access
is a requirement to keeping a cat, really. Is it always a good idea?
Not hardly! b) Stray cats – these are cats that once had a
home, but for any number of reasons no longer do so. c)
“Alley” Cats – these are cats that never had a home, but live
peripheral to people and depend on people to survive. They may do so
by scrounging, hunting, or by being fed. An excellent example of much
appreciated Alley Cats would be the street cats of Istanbul. My wife
and I spent some time in Istanbul, and were promptly adopted by a
clowder of about 4 cats that decided we were 'good people'. No food
involved or required. We did put out water, however.

https://vimeo.com/87816089

All of the above come in various degrees of shyness, defensiveness
and distrust, but the bottom line is that they are as dependent on
people as any given housecat for the most part. Stray and Alley cats
tend to live relatively short lives, are subject to many diseases and
other problems, but their survival rate would be much lower without
people. And, all of the above will, eventually, adapt to living
closely with people (in a ‘home’), over time. Some, even (at
least the three I have taken on) will even become aggressively
affectionate.

d) d) Feral cats – these are cats that have never had a
‘people’ home, probably for generations if ever. They do not
depend on people. They do not eat ‘people’ or ‘people-source’
food, even if offered. They do not eat carrion unless they killed it
themselves. They want about as much to do with people as does the
typical Lynx, Mountain Lion or similar. Feral cats live an average of
over ten (10) years, mostly based on heavy attrition during the first
six months of life. Once about a year old, they tend to make an
average of about fifteen years. They have the same general attitude
to being captured and ‘tamed’ as would that Lynx or Mountain
Lion. Not to suggest that they cannot adapt, but the attitude is
feral. These guys might take years, if at all, to be gentle enough
to handle. And given a chance, they may simply abscond. As would that
Lynx or Mountain Lion.

So, be exceedingly careful when characterizing any animal as
“feral”. It is not a simple descriptive, but a very specific term.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Peter, I assume 'John Doe' is someone in my killfile for spamming or
something. He must have said something to spark this.

Either way, English is not a precise language, no matter how much you
may wish it. While the word 'Feral' is often mis-attributed, it's not
the black and white you make it out to be in real use.

I've seen people try to be so specific so as to rule out anyone ever
owning/taming a feral as by their definition, it is part of their rules
to be a feral that it can't be done. In fact though, those who claim
that just do not have the experience to do it and also tend to think
'all ferals are alike' (they aren't, they are as different as home
raised are where one is a lap kitty and the other is aloof).