Old July 16th 16, 12:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
obsidianjg

Default Cat gets on the counter top

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 5:30:16 AM UTC-4, Zob wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:21:34 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Rock Master wrote:

What should i do to keep the cat off the counter top i caught her
laying on it many times i make her get down but when i leave the
kitchen she will get back on the counter top again

Simple and very effective solution. Upside down packaging tape. Then you
get to play her rescuer... "Awww, let me help remove that awful
packaging tape!"

Great idea! I'm going to put upside-down packaging tape on my
counters, my dining room table, my refrigerator, my desk, my
bookcases, my... ;-D

In your case I would say, pick and choose your battles. In my experience cats understand locations. They get if if they are not allowed on the counter or the table in the kitchen. But you can't teach them to understand that not using the table in the kitchen means ALL tables.

The easiest way for me to get them off my book cases was to fill them with books or heavy knickknacks, they can't throw off easily. For the counter tops, upside down tape and some tin cans with buttons worked wonders.

Also, never leave any leftover food on the counter. The temptation is just too strong. They smell it, even if you think they would not like it.