Old August 18th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Did I speak too soon?

Christina Websell wrote:

About curing Kitty's recent toilet habits? It was all going so well with
the new litterbox. When I got home from work I went upstairs to the
bathroom where I knew I had left my fleece sweater over the side of the bath
(my house is cold and I needed to put it on) and found it had fallen off on
to the bathroom floor. When I put it on, the sleeve was wet.
So it seems KFC is peeing on my clothes again despite the litter box being
inches away.

[snip]
I want to do only the best for her. Do you think it might be time to let
her go at the age of 20?
Please say no, it would break my heart, but if you all think yes..I will
consider it.

No!! Absolutely not. Unless she is suffering, it is not time to let her
go.

I would first do what others have suggested, and check for a UTI or some
other medical condition. Do you have any vets who do house calls? I mean
for a cat - I know you live in a rural area where a vet might come out
to see a horse or some other hard-to-transport animal. That might be
better than putting her through the trauma of going there, if it's an
option. I also liked Karen's suggestion of bringing in a urine sample.

If she doesn't have a medical condition, then another thing I might
suggest is a second litterbox downstairs. She might have peed on the
floor because she didn't have the energy to go up the steps. And then
when you brought her to the litterbox, maybe she came right back out
because she had already peed, and didn't need to use the box right then.
If there had been a box downstairs, she might have used it. She has
already demonstrated that she is willing to use a litterbox.

Purrs for you and KFC, especially from Licky for his sweet girl.

Joyce