Old June 11th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Kindle questions - OT

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
m...
On 2012-06-10, Joy wrote:
Although nothing will ever replace real books for me, it seems to me
that
an
e-reader would be the best bet for traveling, as opposed to taking a
large
number of books along.

Since my kids are taking me to Australia in October, I'm seriously
considering getting an e-reader. So far I'm leaning toward a Kindle,
but
have lots of questions.

For one thing, they range from the bare bones to the Kindle Fire. I
think
there's one even more expensive than the Fire, but that's definitely
out
of
my range. I'm looking hard at the Kindle Touch and the next one up,
which
has 4G.

Does anybody here have a Kindle? If so, which model do you have? What
are
its advantages and disadvantages? If you wish you'd gotten a different
model, which one and why?

I get the impression that one can send email, or at least texts, on
some
models. Is this true? If so, which ones?

Apparently they can be read in full sunlight, like a real book. I
assume
this means one would need a light to use them in dim light or the dark?

Any other suggestions or comments would be most welcome.

I have what is now called the Kindle Keyboard, and a case. The case
is needed to protect the Kindle from wear and tear and comes with a
booklight. The Kindle Fire has a backlight built in. I also have more
than 100 titles so far. The nice thing is you can carry a lot of books
inside your Kindle. The bad thing is that you can't lend or give away
or sell your old Kindle e-books. The Kindle does come with a web
browser.
The browser is barely adequate. The Kindle doesn't lend itself to
web browsing. I'd get a tablet computer if web browsing was important.

Bud

Thank you for this information. How big is the screen? How heavy is it?

No, web browsing isn't that important. I thought it would be nice to be
able to send email, but I could find other ways to do that if it's
important. OTOH, if you aren't visiting the web, what is the advantage
of
the keyboard?

Joy

The screen on my Kindle is about 3-1/2 inches wide by 5 inches tall. The
keyboard is useful for entering short lines of text as when searching for
an author in the Kindle store, but it would be frustrating to use for
mail. The screen is not a touch screen.

Bud

Thank you, Bud.

Joy