Old March 27th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cruising cats: visit to TED

"rrb" wrote in message

Hopefully you will find the Revolution that is packed away somewhere. I
like hearing of your cruising cats journals. This does bring up a few
concerns however. Perhaps you should if possible create a list of
vets/emergency vets now while you can. If you ever end up somewhere
where internet access is unavailable and you need a vet what then? Plus
creating a list of taxi or other transportation options along your route
as well would be prudent - since you cannot exactly take a car with you
on the boat. Purrs that you never really need either are provided however.
rrb

Thanks for the good wishes and the suggestions.

Our trip will be about 4,000 miles along the Eastern U.S. coastal and
inland waterways and canals in parts of Canada. Our speed averages 7
miles per hour, depending on winds and currents. We will cover from 20
to 90 miles a day between stops. Even if you use the metric units, you
can see that we are slow and almost always close to someplace.

I'm not worried about finding emergency vets. It's not likely that we
will be without Internet access where we are going. If we can't get the
Internet, we can use a phone book when we are at a dock, and we can ask
the locals for referrals. We can rent a car, if needed, anywhere we
will be.

The real trick is to get our mail delivered. We are using a service
that will forward it, but because we don't really know where we will be
on any given day, we have a problem telling them where to send it.

The third day into our trip, we were still close enough to home that my
husband rented a car and went back to get the mail. The last time, we
had them send it overnight to the marina where we were staying.

Annie, crew for Cinder and Rosie