Old February 6th 04, 06:24 PM
Fan

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:55:27 -0800, Sharon Talbert
wrote:

Fan, I admire your posting on the subject of euthanasia and "no-kill"
shelters. Do you work in a public shelter or a private shelter that
assumes the responsibility of euthanasia as necessary?

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

I have volunteered several hundred hours at a private shelter for over
two years. In that time, I have seen perfectly healthy cats and dogs
euthanised. Everyone, absolutely everyone, there hates when that
happens, but there are no viable alternatives sometimes. When you are
out of space to the point of housing animals in people's offices, out
of foster families, and all the other shelters are out of space, what
is the alternative?

I respect the work that the "no-kill" shelters do, but I have zero
respect for those who look down their nose on the shelters who do
euthanise when there are no alternatives. The local city shelter will
euthanise any animal that has not been adopted in x number of days.
That should be unacceptable, but there are too few of us to change the
city's policy.