Old May 16th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
at

Default What do I need to know about pet sitters?

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:23 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article , jmc
wrote:

For the first time ever, I'm considering a pet sitting service for Meep.
I'll be gone for nearly three weeks. She did very poorly the last
time I had her in boarding, so I need to try something new.

I'm a very private and somewhat paranoid person. I do NOT NOT NOT like
the idea of a stranger in my house when I'm away! However, Meep's needs
trump my discomfort.

Can those of you who use a service tell me about them? I'm looking at
services that were recommended by coworkers, but that doesn't always
guarantee they'll do a good job. I'm leaving my cat's life and my
personal home in this person's hands - since they're recommended I
assume they'll do a good job with Meep, but how do I know they won't go
through my stuff while they are here?

Any advice is appreciated! I need to do this for Meep's sake, but I
might be even more of a nervous wreck than I am when putting her into
boarding!

jmc

In this life you can't guarantee anything, but nanny cams even the odds a whole
lot...and can be accessed by the internet

Great idea!

Also, when you call a pet sitting service, ask for several references,
preferably from people who have used their service more than once.

I would also ask that the SAME person come every day, and that you get a
chance to meet the person, and ask them about their experience with
cats.

If they don't show any enthusiasm for cats, if they don't have any cats
of their own, pass on that person.

This makes me glad I never, ever travel.

Good luck.